AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tell me about salt/mineral for my cow herd.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

nkline
Posted 5/11/2024 21:29 (#10737201 - in reply to #10737145)
Subject: RE: Tell me about salt/mineral for my cow herd.

West Central Iowa
tmrand - 5/11/2024 20:46

I've always kind of cheaped out when it comes to my cows. They get the scraps...........and burnt up crops..........and just fit in where they can. They do have it pretty good from the late fall until the spring while they're grazing on irrigated wheat and corn/Milo stalks with their fall born calves. When we push them off of that, and they go dry in the summer.............they usually have droughty grass.........and supplemental cane feed as needed.

Through the years.............I just have made them work with our cropping system. And so I've never thrown high dollar mineral at them. Usually they get 3 or 4 different colors of free choice salt blocks.

Am I doing anything wrong? I used to give them high mag bagged salt when they were on the wheat.............but I couldn't tell it did anything different.............short of giving me a bigger bill at the feed store.

So, am I missing something? Am I leaving money on the table??

High magnesium salt shouldn’t be very expensive. I like to mix my own stuff based on what the cows will be eating. I make a different mineral for corn stalk grazing, early season pasture and late season pasture.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)