AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blister Beetle Boogie
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hedge tree
Posted 8/5/2007 15:47 (#183140)
Subject: Blister Beetle Boogie

Central Kansas
Had a call from a cousin north of here this a.m. He had received a letter from an insurance company saying he was being sued for $21,000 for the death of a horse that had eaten hay he sold a broker in Alabama. Cousin has shipped this man hay for years.....the Alabama guy sells it to others, individuals and other hay brokers. Part of a load of the Kansas hay was sold to an horse owner from a secondary hay broker...not the Alabama buyer. When the horse died, the sh&* ran back up hill and the Alabama buyer said it came from my cousin. The hay was sold in February of '06...and the incident took place early this spring. The lawyers are working their magic.

Don't know the outcome of this but doubt they can lay anything specific off onto my cousin but who knows?

Question: if this litigation crap continues, especially driven by the wealthy folks with high dollar horses that are insured.....how do you protect yourself from these suits? I have a disclaimer on my invoices that says "we cannot guarantee our hay products are blister beetle free". We keep a copy of each invoice. I wonder if I shouldn't include a waiver and make the buyer sign it. It would seem that these same people will eventually end up with no small squares of alfafa to buy because of this crap. I don't know what a hobby horse owner is doing feeding alfalfa anyhow....they must be green(ies).

Your experiences and ideas about blister beetles and alfalfa hay would be appreciated by many producers on this site.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)