AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Different aphid year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 8/5/2007 21:49 (#183273)
Subject: Different aphid year

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Some things I have been noticing with the aphids this year here in SW MN. Most scouts I have talked to are seeing the same thing. In the real drought areas one finds fewer aphids. They were there but decided to fly the coup so to speak. Lots of aphid skins . If one checks the better areas of the field where there still is some moisture there are more aphids. I had one good field that did recieved more rain than the other fields I have. I will spray that one tommorow(wanted to spray fri but waited until after the rains went through to get maximum residual). The other fields I have don't seem to be increasing much at this time due to drought stress i believe. Maybe the drought stress is not allowing full sugar flow in the plant thus the aphids are not doing as well??Kind of like they go to the newly formed leaves and stems because they are more succulent. Now that it has rained almost 2 inchs I believe the populations will increase on those remaining fields that are at about 40 per plant. Will watch and see. Soybean growth should begin again with these new rains. Most plants have 13 nodes at this time and will put on another 3 to 4 nodes and lots of blossoms yet till the 1st of sept. Aphids will like this new lush growth.
Learn something new every year with these critters.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)