AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Raven Viper Pro & Trimble Autopilot
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Jacob Bolson
Posted 10/31/2007 00:23 (#229591)
Subject: Raven Viper Pro & Trimble Autopilot

Iowa
Is anyone successfully providing a GPS signal to a Raven Viper Pro from the Trimble Autopilot's NavController? I have two machines running the following configuration:

Trimble EZ-Guide 500
Trimble Autopilot
OmniSTAR HP
Raven Viper Pro

I've been tracking this down since Friday but here's where things currently stand: the issue which I am having is that the NMEA data provided by the NavController is not only position corrected, but also direction corrected. So, in the case of the machine going in reverse, the speed in the VTG string is a negative value. The Viper Pro is not able to handle the speed as a negative value (i.e.- machine in reverse) which results in it not accepting any of the NMEA data and throwing an error message. I am able to successfully disconnect the serial cable providing GPS to the Viper Pro anytime when a negative speed value may be transmitted (GPS drift when machine is stopped or machine in reverse) and then reconnect the GPS once the machine is moving forward again, however, this is a complete pain. For the time being I have installed an Ag Leader GPS 1100 (no direction correction) on each machine as a GPS source for the Viper Pro but have my fingers crossed that Raven will have a solution, especially since they've expanded their partnership with AutoFarm (a system which also corrects for direction and steers in reverse).

On a more positive note, the EZ-Guide 500, Autopilot, and Viper Pro are all outstanding pieces of equipment. I am very impressed with each of them and will be even more impressed once this communication hiccup can be straightened out.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)