AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Arduino Enthusiasts - Remote for 3 button door openers and lights
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/19/2018 08:24 (#6588701)
Subject: Arduino Enthusiasts - Remote for 3 button door openers and lights

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Some time ago there were posts concerning using a smartphone as a remote for door openers that utilize a three button switchbox. These are quite common and generally have a push button box by the door with three buttons labelled UP, DOWN, STOP. It is possible to wire several of these together if desirable. The UP and DOWN buttons are momentary so they are wired in parallel to each button box so pushing the UP or DOWN on any button box will initiate the UP or DOWN action. The STOP circuit is a continuous loop through all the STOP buttons which are wired in series. Pushing the STOP button on any button box temporarily breaks the circuit and the opener Stops.

There is a commercial product (GarageMate) that works with simple single push button openers commonly found on residential garage door openers via a smartphone and Bluetooth. They do not want to get involved with the 3 button styles. I have been able to make them work with some 3 button systems. They do not allow for stopping the door partially open which may or may not be a good idea.

Last Winter I started playing around with the Ardunio concept as a hobby. I picked it up again this Winter and purchased some additional support items. Various companies make adapter boards called Shields that piggy back on top of the Ardunio boards to add capabilities. I purchased one that interacts with my iPhone (Androids are supported also) to utilize the input and output features of today's smart phones via Bluetooth. I also purchased a four relay board so the Arduino can control other external circuits such as lights, fans etc.

Over the weekend I wired up these devices as shown on the picture below. I wrote a program (they call them sketches) that will control the relays to work with my shop opener and lights. I'm confident that this will work as I have done this before with other remotes that did not utilize a phone. The app on the phone is free from the Shield Manufacturer. I chose to use one that they call Gamepad as it could be used like a joystick of sorts for robots or games.

The program is written so that pushing the UP button on the phone app will send a 1 second pulse to the 3 button opener UP button which will start the door to OPEN. Pushing the DOWN button on the app will send a 1 second pulse to the 3 button opener DOWN button which will start the door to CLOSE. Pushing either side button will open the STOP circuit for 1 second to cause the opener to STOP at its present position.

The colored buttons work with the shop lights which are wired with a Heavy Duty contactor wired as a 3-way switch with a regular 3-way light switch by the door. I used a heavy duty contactor since several lights are involved. Only one button would have been needed but I wrote the program so pressing any one of them toggles the relay on the board which in turn toggles the contactor. I could have used the colored buttons to work with more relays for more control possibilities.

This remote system does not interfer with the original system at all. The door can be OPENED, CLOSED or STOPPED by any combiation of the actual buttons on the original 3 button box or the app on the phone. The status of the lights can be cycled by either the 3-way switch by the door or the colored buttons on the app.

The 9V battery will be replaced by a 110VAC to 12V DC adapter. Five wires are needed to go between the 3 relays for the opener and the 3 button box Another pair of wires will carry the 110VAC that controls the contactor for the lights.

The advantage of using a phone instead of dedicated remotes (which I already have) is that a smartphone can download the free app, the smartphones are usually carried by an individual and are kept at least partially charged. This means bringing in another user requires no expense beyond the normal cost of the phone. Dedicated remotes work fine but can get lost, need unusual batteries and may have a fairly high initial cost if several are needed. The app can also be used with a tablet if that would be desirable. Using a phone would seem to be more convenient.

The circuits boards shown would be mounted in a weatherproof box outside the building with the connecting wires run through the wall to the other components inside the shop.

Edited by tedbear 2/20/2018 09:44

(ShopOpenerArdunioPhone.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ShopOpenerArdunioPhone.JPG (91KB - 356 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)