AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Distillery (crop) business
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

puff33m
Posted 3/10/2024 13:47 (#10660088)
Subject: Distillery (crop) business

N FLA
When I was in Extension I got involved with some farm to distillery business. As I recall there must have been some legislative changes that allowed private label sales. I tried to work with the dept of AG and develop Fresh from Florida for craft beer and distillery. We were unsuccessful, but I moved on to private industry.

Today, I sell bagged corn and the dept of AG has seemed to got something going with fresh from Florida and I have distilleries calling for Florida grown corn.

As I remember, at the time I really thought the opportunity was in selling a value added, malted product. Seems like that's what the culture of these brewers and distillers was. Pick up a catalog order a tremendously expensive product.

I can already sell more bagged corn than I can handle, and these guys just want to pay market price when they figure out im already selling at a reduced price. Unless I achieve some fresh from Florida labeling or something that everyone doesn't have, that would let me markup my product over the local sales I already do.

I previously worked with this industry with oats for vodka, rye for whiskey, corn for whiskey, and we can easily grow barley as well, but I haven't ever had any to sell.

Does anyone have any thoughts on selling a value added product to this industry, malting, drying, and bagging. I guess that's my question. Or do I just sit back and sell a commodity in a 50# bag like they can use.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)