AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Been out of the loop on GMO corn seed I guess....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 11/7/2007 09:52 (#233532)
Subject: Been out of the loop on GMO corn seed I guess....

Thumb of Michigan
Been working a little on buying corn seed for 2008. Till now, been all non-GMO corn, all GMO soys. On our corn after corn (about 30% of the corn), been using 1250 Poncho and getting by just fine. Anyway, I guess the biggest reason to date for the non-GMO corn is that I've been able some years to get into a good market for non-GMO corn, secondary reason is that for us the benefits of the traited stuff hasn't been worth the cost. I also am one that still believes in rotating herbicides as well as crops, I just can't bring myself to pay for RUR corn and not use glyphosate on it. Bull headed I guess.

When I pre-paid some seed a while ago, the dealer told me that I was maybe in for some suprises on pricing GMO vs non-GMO seed. He was over last night, so that was the first topic of discussion. I figured I'd bite the bullet and go with some Bt/crw ( no RUR) GMO stuff on my corn after corn acres. I was a little taken back when he told me he had nothing in the line up for my maturity range that wasn't a triple stack. We didn't get into a lot of details, but apparantly on top of it all, his company has raised the price of non-GMO seed up quite a lot more vs the price increase of GMO. In other words, the traits are getting cheaper vs non-GMO, especially (in my case) where I just want to add 1250 Poncho.

I guess my question is : is this getting common among all major seed brands? Seems like its getting to be like buying a pick up. I really want option A and B, but its either expensive or impossible to delete option C.

I'm not going to mention the company, in my mind it doesn't matter. I've been very happy with this particular brand, and I'm not looking to change my seed supplier just yet. Not asking this to start a peeing match between seed companies, just can't believe I've gotten that far out of the loop on this sort of thing. I know that in some areas, some of you guys are commonly able to justify the traits regardless of which ones they are. Most years, I think its iffy here depending on primarely rotations. Maybe I just have to get out of the stone age, I just sort of feel like I'm up against a wall on this stuff and I don't care for it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)