AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

One more time---- what is the reason that "usually" 1st corn after corn is low yield?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 11/16/2007 20:16 (#239533)
Subject: One more time---- what is the reason that "usually" 1st corn after corn is low yield?

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

I have heard it said that the first crop of corn, following corn, is usually a low yield crop.

What are the "agronomic" reasons for this?

Because of N being tied up in the breakdown of the stalks from the original corn crop?

But, if enough N were put down with the stalks, and the stalks turned under in the fall, would that not allow the N enough time to break down the stalks, and be released for N to the crop?

What would be the case if the N were not applied until spring?

Or.........is there another reason that "usually" causes first corn after corn to be a weaker crop?

Reason for the questions----------I thought we put down enough additional N in fall and spring to compensate for the N that would get tied up in the breakdown process. However, our corn yields for corn after corn are not as good as I had hoped.

Late planting is certainly a factor------and we did not plant until first of June............but, we have not planted until then for about 3 years running........so, comparatively, ought to be similar.

Obviously, weather would have been big factor in 07----------but fields following beans held up pretty well.

Thanks. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)