AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

whitlow grass in winter wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mca
Posted 3/4/2008 02:06 (#325313)
Subject: whitlow grass in winter wheat

Southern Ontario
Hello gentlemen,

We have a problem with whitlowgrass, it is actually not a grass but a broadleaf of the mustard family.

http://www.ppdl.purdue.edu/PPDL/weeklypics/4-11-05.html

This weed is usually not emerged at planting time of winter wheat but by November is often present in the field. It then grows with the wheat until it dies naturally in mid/late May. It is a very small plant that is not too competitive but at 200 or so plants per square yard it adds up. A government researcher has also called the weed yellow whitlowgrass. I currently apply herbicide to our fields in early May (before that very few of our other broadleaves are up.). This treatment does also slowly control the whitlow grass but I think the weed has already caused some yield loss. So, I would like to control the whitlow grass weed earlier in a separate, earlier herbicide pass. However, the weed experts in our area do not know how or when to deal with it as the weed has not widespread in our area yet.

What do you gentlemen do to control this weed and at what stage of wheat and whitlow grass do you do it? Is there any potential to damage the wheat with this treatment? What rates, water volume, tips and tank additives do you use when applying the treatment?

Also, is it even worth treating whitlow grass before and separate to my early May herbicide treatment? I have also had one weed expert say it should not cause significant damage, but from watching my fields I think it can cause real yield loss, especially on a dry year. Currently we still have snow on our winter wheat fields.

Any advise would be appreciated
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)