AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Educate me in Drill Bits
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 9/13/2006 15:57 (#43503)
Subject: Educate me in Drill Bits

Oklahoma
Forgive me for being an idiot at alot of things but can someone educate me in drill bits. Who makes "good" drill bits? What do you look for?

A few years ago, I was given a set of bits, I think Buffalo brand. I was told when I got them, these are the best bits you can buy. I have used them on woodworking projects and occasional metal. My problem is that I can drill for about 5 minutes in metal and they quit cutting. I have seen people drill everyway that seem imaginable and they seem to get bits to cut through metal (steady pressure with oil, without oil, drill a couple seconds then let off, redrill, doesn't seem to matter the shavings are flying). Yesterday tried drilling a through a 1/8" piece of metal with 1/4 inch bit that hadn't ever been used. I started the hole and got it set, then oiled it and had it cut down to about a full bit size. The bit quit cutting. I let it set, tried again, wouldn't cut, let sit, tried again, this time I got ticked and put "some pressure" on it and that didn't help. Before it was over, the bit bent of course but I still hadn't gotten it to cut. In wood these bits work alright but metal they seem to go dull in a couple minutes. How long should a good bit hold an edge pending a good operator? What is considered a good way to drill metal? Is this operator error on mine or poor bits?

Thanks.

Edited by jcs 9/13/2006 15:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)