AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

QuickBooks Bill Center, how much do you use it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 2/6/2018 10:53 (#6558495)
Subject: QuickBooks Bill Center, how much do you use it?

It used to be when I received a bill and got time to pay it I would just write a check, write "paid" on the statement and then enter it in Quickbooks whenever I got time (sometimes a LONG ways down the road).

For almost a year now we have been using Quickbooks to print checks. So we do do the same thing except we get it entered in Quickbooks instantly. We have also been taking pictures of credit card transactions and storing them on DropBox and then getting everything entered in the credit card account timely.

This has cut down on confusion but we still sometimes send a payment at the same time a vendor sends a new statement. The two cross in the mail and we pay the second statement thereby double paying the first statement.

To prevent this from happening in the future we are now entering all invoices in the "Enter Bills" section of Quickbooks, making sure to put the Invoice number in there. We started doing it just for places that we pay by check rather than credit card but it seems like having different methods for entering stuff from different vendors is causing confusion and I'm getting to the point where I might just start running every single payment (other than stuff that goes through the employee center) through the "Enter Bills" section.

We did decide today that we were not going to go through "Enter Bills" for stuff where we would never receive a statement such as going to Casey's and buying gas with a credit card.

But every vendor that would ever possibly send us a statement, we're planning on running through "Enter Bills" even if we are paying by credit card on that particular transaction, just for consistency in our entry methods.

The one that really caught us off guard in the last week was a local vendor. I went in and bought an item by putting it on my account. They gave me a copy of the invoice but since we do business with them often, they left the invoice open. My employee went in and picked up another item. They added it to my invoice. He paid with his credit card rather than charging it. So he paid for my invoice that I thought needed to be paid.

If we pay with a check within 10 days we get a 5% discount. So we sent a check for my invoice before the statement came. They are honest and called us to let us know but had we entered every transaction through "Enter Bills" Quickbooks would have flagged the duplicate invoice numbers and we would not have double paid.

Anyway, is this likely going to make it so we're catching stuff like that? Itnfeels like it should Maybe 5% more bookwork but a lot lower probability of mistakes. How do you do it?

Edited by dpilot83 2/6/2018 10:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)