AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

no-till, virgin ground scenario....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Rodney R
Posted 10/14/2006 19:38 (#51561)
Subject: no-till, virgin ground scenario....

SE PA
I have a buddy who has rented some ground, and wants to plant some soybeans. Now, this ground is idle, and has been for say 30+ years. Last time it was farmed, it was possibly by him, before a career, and with the plow and harrow combo. As of this point the soil test is not yet back from the lab.... Now, the ground doesn't have any trees growing, just mostly grasses, and maybe a few other weeds. I'm about 300 miles away from it, so I don't really know. Now, on a start-from-scratch operation, it seems like no-till would be the best idea, so far as buying machinery, especailly for a part-timer. Since this ground has been unworked so long, it seems to me that it would be prime for a no-till operation, so long as it's not full of ditches, ruts, or whatever. But the guy (possibly local) that he's talked to says he's gotta plow it the 1st year. On one hand I can see the reasoning, but on the other???? Now, I'm no expert, and I'm at the end of my knowledge so far as advice goes. I do know that he alwasy thought this ground was on the damp/wet side..... It's in Ashtabula county, OH. Should be a pic below.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Continuing along..... how well would a soybean/wheat rotation work? I'm thinking disease could be an issue, and corn should be added in?

Rodney
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)