AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to livestock - ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

thelastcowboy
Posted 6/10/2023 10:08 (#10264220)
Subject: New to livestock - ideas

I have been renting out 40 acres of pasture with a stock dam that came with a quarter I bought a long time ago ten miles from my house. The renter is slowing down and passing on it this year. I have been talking about trying to figure on getting into livestock for quite some time now and this may be my chance. Some things to factor in:

-I live ten miles away, and my home place is not set up for livestock and never has been, just three acres with a house and a shop and a "scrap-yard" of about an acre that could be fenced off if I wanted.
-I have a full time job aside from farming, which keeps me out of town about fifty nights a year. The rest of the time I'm working from home in a situation that gives me a fair amount of flexible time to tend to business at home. My wife and kids would not presently be able to check on things or fix an issue if something happens when I'm gone.
-I have no hay equipment but purchasing a moco, rake and a baler along with a stock trailer wouldn't kill me. Got a pickup, tractor and loader and Mule.

Could I get by with a situation where I find 20-40 light steers in the spring, turn them loose then sell them in the fall? What about corn stalks? I have lots of them worth grazing after I get done picking corn. Could that extend the fattening program? Any supplements/tubs that I could throw either in the pasture, stalks or both? Any situation where animals need to be vaccinated or anything? Probably not, right? That's usually taken care of when they are in the yard.

Any other thing worth noting here? Advise, ideas, criticism?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)