AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low to very low boron
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sloughclub
Posted 2/17/2024 03:42 (#10626811 - in reply to #10626736)
Subject: RE: Low to very low boron

Southern Missouri
What bobcat 712 says above is very very true , be careful, very careful if you apply heavy rates of boron around corn seed placement, I guess I’ll tell this story one more time , there’s a very well known soil man that the hefty bros put on their show a lot and I see his stuff quoted on here a lot , I’m going to call him sm in this story , not his initials . I started farming in 1975 , my first crop , a couple years later the sm started working our area a lot , my farming mentor I farmed beside had went into the fertilizer business, he had sm doing lot of work for him , sm came up with a program for my friends customers, I bit in on it , was very heavy In sulfur and super heavy in boron , program was expensive, only a few of us in the area did it , our friend in the fertilizer business applied it preplant and it was worked into the soil , a few days after the corn came up , the few of us in the area that bit into the program had 4 inch tall corn that had about 50 percent of the plants in the field turn white as a sheet , pretty funny looking, all the neighbors corn with a regular fertilizer program was beautiful, those of us with sm program we’re worried to hell , I was 19 years old and my corn crop was dying , lost probably 20 percent of my stand , went to lawyers office, lawyer was friends with fertilizer dealer , my dealer who is 20 years older than me talked me out of sueing, he helped me , I’ll never forget it , sm never gave me anything, I stopped talking to him , cost me several thousands of dollars , several , at 19 years old , as I say every time I tell this story , ill gaurantee if you go up to soil man and tell him this story , you won’t get but a few words out of your mouth and he’ll know exactly who your talking about , wonder how much those thousands would be today if I hadn’t lost them way back then to boron toxicity? Be careful putting high rates of boron close to seed .

Edited by sloughclub 2/17/2024 14:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)