AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At-home sleep study... Worth it?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 3/15/2024 06:44 (#10665620 - in reply to #10665427)
Subject: RE: At-home sleep study... Worth it?

Thumb of Michigan
I did a in home study a couple months ago. No surprises, nothing new there, I've had sleep apnea for many years. Even have a CPAP machine. Somewhere. Not sure what I was doing wrong with that one, but I'd never had anything that kept me awake as much as that did. Tried it a week and parked it. Hated it.

Prior to that, I'd done a couple sleep studies at clinics. In my case, I questioned how accurate any results were. Strange room with wires attached to you. Have to buzz the attendant if you need to make a trip to the bathroom. I felt confined and very uncomfortable. Now, there are a lot of different tests that are a lot more invasive for different things I realize. Some of those were still preferable to me vs an in clinic sleep study.

So back to the home study. Pretty painless. Sleeping in your own bed in your own house is always a good thing far as I'm concerned. Next day, I took it back to the clinic and spent a few minutes going over the results with the guy there. He did a very good job explaining things. He was impressed with me as well. Said my results weren't the worse in terms of sleep apnea he'd seen but were definitely in the top 10. I guess I'm just an over achiever. My Dr put in an order for a new CPAP machine for me. Oddly enough, the insurance company refused at first without a in clinic study to back it up. I refused that, but eventually got the green light to get a machine anyway.

I have used it every night for the last 3 weeks. I so far notice nothing different. I slept good before, still do. My wife, however, is much happier and sleeps better because I don't stop breathing anymore. I like keeping her happy when I can, so thats really the payoff in my case. I'm sure its not hurting me, maybe even helping.

But back to the OP- I'd do 100 in home sleep studies before I go back to do one in clinic overnight sleep study. Thats just me I guess. I know nothing about the ones you can buy online, I think I'd get one from my local place first.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)