AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lewis Black on Bad Language.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 2/9/2010 19:40 (#1066596 - in reply to #1066487)
Subject: RE: Lewis Black on Bad Language.

lol...Rich, I appreciate you going back and forth with me a little on this. And I am sorry I came across as condemning you earlier. That really wasn't my intent but I can sure see how it would be easy to take it that way.

I'm probably not going to discuss this one a lot more (unless you really want me to continue). I don't see that we will come to terms on it and that's ok. I do have one last comment though. You mentioned that for you, it's about choices and freedom to do what works for you. You have also spoken quite a bit about respect and how it's important to you that others show it to you.

Freedom and choices are both pretty funny things. I want to have the freedom to do many things that I would like to do. An 8 year old may want the freedom to fly a 747 into Denver International, but doing so would jeopardize the right of many people to have safe air travel. A rapist may want the freedom to be around as many women as he wants in an environment where they have no defense but that would infringe upon their right to have a safe living environment.

Many freedoms, taken to their extremes can infringe upon the rights of others. Reading through this thread, I would say you feel you have the right to be treated with respect. However, if you walk into the grocery store and slip on the recently mopped floor and crack your head against a counter and then start cursing because it hurts, you are not showing respect to the people shopping in the store that do their best to avoid an environment where cursing will be heard.

It seems like to me that throughout this thread you've been trying to convince me that not everyone is like me and I need to respect that. I agree with you. I hope you can see that the same thing applies to you. That is why I am happy that the moderators of this forum do their best to prevent curse words from being displayed. I want this to be a place where I can read and not worry that my wife or kids (that part isn't a concern yet, but may someday be) will see something that I don't want them to have to deal with. For that matter, I don't want to have to deal with it. The moderators are attempting to enforce that respect for people who do not feel the same way you do.

As far as the mapdot is concerned, I would imagine I'm even closer than you think from time to time. My wife is from a ways east of here and we visit her parents quite often. Maybe we'll have to meet up sometime and discuss anything but this;).

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)