AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are high wage earners paying enough taxes?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

woodduck
Posted 3/15/2024 14:27 (#10666225 - in reply to #10666201)
Subject: RE: Are high wage earners paying enough taxes?

NE Mo
HuskerJ - 3/15/2024 14:06

They already kind of do that.

Most years, I sit on the threshold of both the next tax bracket as well as the next Obamacare price bracket.
They say they are making it a bit more progressive, and less of a sharp cut-off as far as the Obamacare out of pocket costs, but anyway, to the jist of what I am getting at.

Last year, had I made 20K more 'income' I would have paid more than 18K of that in the form of taxes and extra Obamacare costs. Without divulging my income, I will say that most years I get a good chunk of my wife's withholdings back as a refund, and occasionally with 2 kids and Earned Income Credit, I get a little more, so I am far from a high wage earner. The problem is, there is little to no incentive for me to increase my income unless they change something. Why would I take the risk and do the work renting the 80 down the road, when pretty much any extra income from it will disappear.
Now, if I make 50K more income, I get to keep around 15K of it, and if I make 100K more income, I get to keep over 40K. The income tax is not the problem, it is the Obamacare costs. If we want the low income people to rise to the middle, that needs to be less of a problem. (All these numbers were from last year's tax planning as best I can remember them).

That's kind of embarrassing to read. In today's world you have to really want to be a victim if you think there aren't options to health insurance. Your tax planning sounds more like working the system rather than trying to succeed financially. Look for a new tax and financial planner among other things. Sorry to be harsh but that attitude is your problem not "the man" holding you down.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)