AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NRCS Woes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 3/24/2024 09:00 (#10677628 - in reply to #10675421)
Subject: RE: NRCS Woes

Early 90's NRCS came onto dairy and ran his test auger probe below my dairy lagoon to handle wash water out of milk barn. He said my lagoon was leaching into ground. I called B.S. as my lagoon was built on top of ground. We used to break it open and clean x-number of years with loader tractor. I told him if what he said was true I couldn't drive my tractor in there.

So I made him bring backhoe out, he had one on truck to dig 5 feet down. I told him to leave hole open for two weeks. He said it would drain my lagoon. I told him B.S., but below 5' there was a high water table. I told him it would fill a little bit with clear water. He could see that I was right when he dug it. Side walls was dry and clean. So left it for two weeks, he refused to come back and look. He called me, asked about it he told me I was right. But out of his control, I needed new lagoon.

I called Idaho State University extension Dairy guy to come look. He agreed with me, however he replied cheaper to build it than fight them in court. So they signed us up for cost share money to build. Got plans from NRCS for lagoon. However specs was different than specs Dept. Of Ag. Of Idaho who would be inspection of said lagoon.

I replied great it wouldn't pass first round. So I turned money back, rented a scraper and built it ourselves. NRCS plan said to overflow pipe in side wall of lagoon incase it ever overflowed. So I put it in. Dept. Of Ag questioned it, said I couldn't have that. I showed them plans, they left me alone. We just tore lagoon out a week ago as cows left in 2019' dry and rock hard in bottom of it.

Sure glad we never took their money on it. I asked my old dairy inspector a while back about lagoon removal. No rules, they didn't care one bit how it was handled. They only cared when it was being used. After cows gone on my own to do as I please.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 3/24/2024 09:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)