AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Youth tackle football
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Formerfarmernd
Posted 3/26/2024 19:27 (#10681685 - in reply to #10678862)
Subject: RE: Youth tackle football

SW N.D.
I’m speaking as a former volunteer coach for youth football. I was an assistant coach for 4 years and head coach 2 years. If you are concerned, find out what rules they will have. We had a league of 6 teams and there were rules that I believe made it safer for young kids. Our league was 4th through 6 graders. There were no blitzes allowed, ball carriers had to be under 110 lbs., we had kickoffs but the ball was dead wherever caught. All head coaches had to take training on teaching Heads Up football. Basically teaching kids to tackle correctly, keeping their head up while tackling. I focused heavily on fundamental aspects of the game. I feel I did a good job, as after I gave it up, I had parents asking me to come back as the succeeding coach wasn’t well liked. Both my sons played and enjoyed it.
Your son may not play much the first year as most kids playing the first year take some time to get the fundamentals down to where they play a lot in a game. I did try to get all my players at least a few minutes of playing time each game as I believe live action helped bring them along faster.
I had very few serious injuries. One kid did get a concussion, and one dislocated and fractured his elbow which I believe was a very unusual situation. He (6th grader) tackled a kid and the kid fell right on his arm.
I also had one girl who played who actually did pretty good once she got used to hitting and being hit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)