AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Oregon shutting down small farms to protect the people
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Beerslayer
Posted 3/29/2024 23:23 (#10686104 - in reply to #10684765)
Subject: RE: Oregon shutting down small farms to protect the people

There are still a lot of conservatives in the Willamette Valley, they are just outnumbered by the leftists, whose numbers are continually bolstered by a stream of people who move in from other states.

As for CAFOs, Portland Oregon should be considered a CAFO as there is so much bum poop deposited daily on the hard surfaces such as sidewalks and it gets washed daily into the storm drains that empty unfiltered into the Willamette river for the dragon boats to race through. So there's that.

I read what I think was the original story that prompted this piece. It was about a woman that started a small wet veg farm near Eugene and was selling in farmers markets. She didn't have any water rights, did no research, and was using water illegally, and got shut down. I have many friends who are in that business and even some who are not pumping creek water but are using their own wells without water rights. Illegally. I do sympathize. Are they hurting anything? That's debatable. They are up in the hills, the aquifer is fragmented and its only "their" water.

What seems to be happening is that all this noise is being used to revisit the traditional system of water rights. That makes me very uncomfortable. The land I'm on is an 1849 Donation Land Claim with very old water rights that has only been in 2 families since it was stolen from the native Americans. They have been very scrupulously maintained and used for beneficial purposes. What we ~really don't want is the leftists in Salem to decide that they need to "fix outdated" water rights.

Furthermore, a very large part of the current water problems we are having now is due to the illegal weed grows in Southern Oregon. The Watermasters are having to be accompanied by deputy sheriffs just to do their jobs.

Well that's my take on it from on the ground in Southern Oregon. Interesting to see it get some attention!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)