AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

That moment when you know you've been had
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

boa628
Posted 3/30/2024 07:06 (#10686202 - in reply to #10685899)
Subject: RE: That moment when you know you've been had

SWOH
Paystar500 - 3/29/2024 20:18

It's hilarious the guys that claim Jd, Case, Cat, Honda, etc.  oil is the best.
Like any of those MFG make their own oil.  LOL

We run Gulf 15w40 in most of our diesels, mostly 20 and 40 series Deere tractors, Cat and Cummins in the big trucks, and a few Duramax’s. We have a newer Pete that recommends 10w30, which surprised me, but we still run 15w40 in it. 10w40 is recommended for our Fendt tractors. 0w40 is recommended for our Case combine. Those are still under warranty and that’s what we use. But Pennzoil and Mobil 1 for those. Nothing here is getting OEM motor oil.

Hydraulic fluid is a different story though. We run Agco 821 in the Fendts and HyTran in the combine. Mobil 424 in a few things, ISO 68 in the Miller sprayers, and everything else gets a cheaper standard ISO 46 UTF. I hate trying to figure out hydraulic fluid and coolant specs and cross references. OAT, HOAT, P-HOAT…blue, green, pink, orange, red, purple…I didn’t like when GM came out with the orange stuff, I thought that was a pain. I’d gladly go back to those days now. And I’m not smart enough to figure out additives in hydraulic fluid, so my ignorance and stupidity probably costs me some for that.

I don’t believe OEM oils are better than anybody else’s. As touchy as hydraulic systems are anymore, I try to eliminate an excuse when something catastrophic happens and they try to weasel out of a warranty because of the fluid.

Grease is a whole different discussion too.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)