AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting electric
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jf2
Posted 4/16/2024 19:57 (#10709290 - in reply to #10709160)
Subject: RE: Getting electric

My folks bought a farm in Dec. 1946. They were renting a smaller farm about 15 miles away. Soon after closing, my dad ordered a new John Deere B. During Jan my dad would load a wagon of stuff to be moved, and early morning would drive a team of horses, to new farm; unload wagon and spend night in empty house. Next morning drive back for another load.

They were signed up for electricity, so wired house for electricity, and added a little insulation, and repaired plaster. Due to WWII, and 1951 flood, did not get electricity until late 1951 when I was 4 years old. Barely remember eating supper with kerosene lanterns. However they did have a Delco 32VDC powerplant that charged batteries for lightbulbs that fit the standard light fixtures. Remember the put-put of the engine charging the batteries. Also had a wind charger for a battery radio.

First purchase was a Philco refrigerator, probably second was a milking machine. Kept the kerosene cook stove, and Maytag washing machine for a couple more years.

When the John Deere B came in mid 1947, the dealer also got a 2-12 plow. Another farmer wanted the plow, but the dealer said he already had a plow, and sold it my dad with the new tractor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)