AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting electric
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 4/18/2024 10:12 (#10711334 - in reply to #10711042)
Subject: RE: Getting electric

North of London
Good questions and only water usage would come to mind.
Also no insulation in house at that time so heat escape would help and I seem to remember very cold water from cold water taps so maybe there was some ice in tank at times.

The kitchen sink had to have doors left open to stop pipes freezing to it on cold days and nights

I don't ever remember there not being running water though so it never froze up completely.

With windmill the water to the barn was stored in a wooden tank on a stone walled structure to give enough height to gravity feed the water troughs and taps in the barn so volume of water going through the tanks must have kept them at least free flowing

Troughs in barn for cattle were fed from a float box to maintain water level in each water bowl and often pipes to these bowls in front of the tie stalls were covered with straw in cold weather to help with freezing and yes I do remember helping wrap jute bags soaked in hot water around pipes to unthaw them at times and this might have even been after the pressure system supplied the float box to supply the drinking bowls.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)