AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rate Control on Rogator with Viper Pro
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/20/2024 07:55 (#10818619 - in reply to #10818570)
Subject: RE: Rate Control on Rogator with Viper Pro

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I would agree with the above advice.

My thought for your situation is to reduce the agitation as this will help improve your response time and increase the LOW PWM setting to keep the pump running faster while you are turning around for a new pass.

We had a Hagie with a Servo Hydraulic control. I traded for a somewhat newer one which has a PWM hydraulic pump control. I used an Ag Leader display and their Liquid Control valve to control the Servo Hydraulic control valve on the first Hagie. It worked fine.

I kept the Ag Leader modules and installed them in the newer Hagie with the PWM pump control. It seemed to work properly in yard testing with water. My Great Nephew runs the sprayer and I was not present in the cab while he sprayed post corn at 15 GPA.

When we switched to soybean post, the suggested rate was 20 GPA due to using Liberty. My Great Nephew complained that the response time was unacceptably slow in responding when starting a new pass. In other words the problem that you are experiencing.

After doing some yard testing with water, I was embarrassed to find that I had an incorrect setting. With the Ag Leader configuration setup, one question that is asked pertains to what the system should do when all booms are OFF. The two choices are "HOLD" or "CLOSE". Either by default or a mistake on my part, that setting was set to "CLOSE". This meant that when all the boom sections were shut off either by the operator or Auto Swath that the system would drop the PWM output to the Zero Flow Offset value. The Zero Flow Offset value is the PWM setting where the pump is just on the edge of pumping.

The idea of the Zero Flow Offset is that it is the absolute low limit for the PWM valve. The Zero Flow Offset might be at 30 rather than 0. This means when flow is again needed the pump is close to turning and will develop flow sooner.

With my setup set to CLOSE, this meant that the pump was not pumping after the sections were turned OFF so there was no agitation and worse yet, no flow for starting the next pass. The problem was present in corn at 15 GPA but much more obvious at 20 GPA for the soybeans. The first step was simple for me - Change the setting to "HOLD".

With a Servo or inline butterfly style of control, the system would just stay at its previous position which should be the best guess for starting a new pass. With a PWM system, the operator can set the PWM value that the valve should receive when all sections are OFF. This is called the PWM standby value. It is always higher than the zero flow offset value.

This could be higher, lower or about the same as the PWM value that is needed to deliver the desired rate for normal spraying. The PWM standby value on an Ag Leader PWM system is only in effect when all sections are OFF. If any or all sections are on, the system will vary the PWM output from the zero flow offset to 100% as needed to attempt to apply the target rate. At first I thought having the PWM standby set high would cause overapplication in some situations. That is not correct since the Standby PWM setting is not involved until all sections are OFF.

This took care of our problem. Your system with a Viper handles this a bit differently. As I recall, the operator can set LOW and HIGH limits for the PWM range. This value may need to be changed based on the flow that is desired when sections are turned ON. In other words there is no one "right" LOW PWM limit for your sprayer. When changing products, tips, ground speed etc. changing the LOW limit of PWM may be desirable.

Edited by tedbear 7/20/2024 08:33
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)