AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Helicopter spraying corn pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Johndeere7920
Posted 7/23/2024 18:56 (#10823228)
Subject: Helicopter spraying corn pics

Central Indiana
With all the questions and talk about which application method is better or worse I figured I’d give a bit of an overview of which method we like. Full disclosure we have never had a ground rig spray fungicide on corn so I can’t attest to the effectiveness plus or minus aerial app. Only benefit of ground rig in my opinion is increase in gal/ac IF you have a competent operator. Guys running over 100+ feet of corn 2 rows at a time costs you money not makes you money. Anyway here’s some pictures I took today of the Chem Air boys spraying some of our corn. Running Veltyma, Terramar, and a micro N foliar.

Arguments in past is that rotor wash does not attribute to good coverage or push the product into the canopy. I call BS on that especially watching today and from the videos and pictures I took. Like it or not it shoves that product into the canopy and I saw it on the leaves to prove it. Is it saturated like a ground rig? No but it does get in there. You can argue aerodynamics and prop physics all day long but I have the videos and proof that it does indeed do a significant amount of good to have that wash in the spray path. If the spray went outside of the booms 3 feet on each side I would be very surprised. There was no lifting of the product into the air from prop wash. You also don’t get wing tip vortices from a plane that cause spray to circle and lift into the air.

IMO helicopter is the way to go if you want good coverage and don’t have access to drone rigs or ground rigs. Planes are at the bottom of my list for fungicide apps. No fault of the operators just very limited what they can and can’t do. Helicopters get in areas planes can’t and also are able to do end rows if needed. The boys from Chem Air out of Shreveport, Louisiana do a fantastic job and if you can get them to spray in your area I’d highly recommend them! They treat it like it was their own and is worth the 18/ac to have them do it. Just my thoughts and opinions you can feel free to disagree I’m not going to be mad I’m just giving full in person experience. Enjoy the pictures. I have videos also if anyone wants emailed them just let me know.

(Snapseed (full).jpeg)

(Snapseed (full).jpeg)

(Snapseed (full).jpeg)

(IMG_5233 (full).jpeg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Snapseed (full).jpeg (215KB - 136 downloads)
Attachments Snapseed (full).jpeg (172KB - 145 downloads)
Attachments Snapseed (full).jpeg (181KB - 144 downloads)
Attachments IMG_5233 (full).jpeg (245KB - 138 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)