AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Replanting pasture grass. Ruff situation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

A&M
Posted 7/25/2024 10:54 (#10825578)
Subject: Replanting pasture grass. Ruff situation

We had just bought a half section of expired CRP to use as pasture or occasional hay it if need be. I guess the dryland farmer next door had been eyeing it and wasn’t given the chance to rent it or buy it. So he decided to work up a portion of it one evening with a tandem disk and then his sweeps just before we closed on the land. Powdered the heck out of a few passes on the one side bordering his land. The owner and him were NOT friends. He was pissed they put it into CRP to begin with. Rival farms for generations. He’s in his late 80s and might not be all there. His family did come forward later that week and offered to fix the mess. Kind of them to do that. I do feel bad for the guy but I think he took it to far.

We get 5-10 inches of rain a year so getting grass established isn’t easy. We were wanting to match what was out there. Mostly smooth brome and short CRP grasses. How many pounds to the acre would you recommend we put down?? And when to drill it? We would use out air seeder most likely. Cheat grass is a problem In May. We had wondered about drilling the grass in the fall with triticale as a cover crop. To avoid the cheat grass and then swath and bale the trit in June?? We did call Our extension agent, waiting on a callback

Edited by A&M 7/25/2024 11:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)