AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drying grain in super sacks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

RideorLodi
Posted 7/26/2024 20:28 (#10827703)
Subject: Drying grain in super sacks

Short story: I don’t know what I am doing and need advice. I have four super sacks full of rye grain (100 bushels)that is wet. The moisture came from weed seeds. What is the best way to dry it before it goes bad? I don’t have a grain dryer or steel bins.

Long story: This is my second year growing rye. I hire a farmer to plant and combine. Then I hire a local elevator to screen it and put it in super sacks.

The goal is to sell it to end users in small quantities (100s of lbs at a time) for a high price per pound.
I’m also doing this organic to try to get a better price/lb. I have not used herbicide so there is a ton of weed seeds in the rye before screening.

This year we harvested it very dry but there was a lot of weed seeds. My understanding is that the weed seeds are wet. My wife went into labor a month early and on the day I was supposed to haul the grain to the cleaner. So then it sat for four days instead of two until my neighbor could haul it.

Now it has been screened but I’m told it’s still getting hot. I’m going to pick it up tomorrow and figure out how to save it. I’ve been in the hospital all week. We have a new baby girl.

So far my plan is to get it inside. It will be stored in a clean, non-air conditioned building until I sell it.

Once inside I can probably put fans on it, compressed air in it, or transfer it into more super sacks.

What is my best course of action here? I don’t have steel grain bins or typical farm equipment.

Any other ideas?

Thank you for help!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)