AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lucus Oil Additive....Educate me
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Redwrench
Posted 3/2/2007 08:55 (#113532 - in reply to #113409)
Subject: Never tell the facts...

to a man who's already made up his mind.

1) Old Bob is not trying to sell you a competitive brand of "Oil Improver" by proving how much better his brand of snake oil-- oops I mean, "scientifically-formulated product enhancer", is than Lucas.
Bob's whole point is to show an undeseirable sidd-effect that Lucas additive has on oils that were perfectly fine just as they were.

2) According to brochures from Lucas, you add less than 5% by oil volume. Therefore, you didn't see the oil level rise in the gearboxes.

3) It is totally meaningless that the gears are metallic, plastic, wood, whatever.. as for load, the pumping action of the gears is what is frothing up the oil. That same pumping action exists in any gear set which runs in an oil bath lubricant.

4) That website has been up for years...If ol Bob has "doctored" the demonstration, I think Lucas would have sued his Axx plumb out of business by now. It's not hurting their business, because people can look right at the facts, and not believe their own eyes.

5) BobistheOilGuy.com is a forum put together by a fellow who happens to sell Schaeffer lubricants. His natural curiousity and willingness to inform the public is reflected in all of the rest of the website. Again, he's not trying to sell you Brand X of oil additives. He's trying to show you what the wrong stuff can do to a product that has already been designed to do the job. If it happens to convince you to buy some Schaeffer from somebody, that's OK too. Personally, I use Case-IH oil in my diesel engines.

6) I don't doubt all of the million-mile claims. I think you would have gotten the million-miles without the Lucas also. And I still think it's in there entraining air in your lubricant.

7) Our parts dept happens to sell Lucas oil additive. They have the little plastic gear box that you can twirl around, and see the "miracle." If anybody happens to wander back to the shop and ask me, I'll tell them exactly what it does... just like this forum. Otherwise, there's one born every minute.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)