AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

7240 Magnum shifting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hwdcne
Posted 3/2/2007 21:09 (#113879 - in reply to #113731)
Subject: Re: 7240 Magnum shifting

Soutwest Ks.
Guys thanks so much for replies! Should clarify what I posted. I've only ran the earlier series Magnums for just a few hours and don't remember how it shifted compared to the 7240, all I know is it is notchy. As far as the three point. It looks like the ratio of lift is not as great as Deere and the reason I say that is mine is adjusted to where the top arms almost hit the cowling on top of arms. No point in trying to re-set that adjustment. The only other adjustment that I can do to help on the lift height is shorten the adjustment arms all the way and then I can't lower enough to pickup a tool I had just let off with the Deere. (Same size rear tires) I am running the heavy Deere quick hitch, not sure if that would make any difference.
The Deere looks like it will lower further and raise higher. Just my observation. Maybe the arms are just a little shorter on the Magnum. Turning radius. I have the fronts set on 68" and have the steering stops set closer than recomended. (Weight bracket and frame are both shiny from the tire) Checked into buying the 8940 weight bracket, but that only helps at the front of the tire and I also hit at the rear on the frame. I investigated that fairly close at one time and the owners manual on the 8940 versus the 7240 actually gives less of a steering angle. I pointed that out to the dealer and they didn't know what to say. I can live with it, I have for almost 10 years already, but always hoping there might be some way. As far as reliability goes, I do think the Magnum will outlast the Deere. I purchased the Magnum as a demo/lease tractor and it was eligible for extended warranty. Dealer advice, not buy it as it will never pay back. They just simply never had experienced warranty claims on the 71 series or very little. That is quite a testimony in my book. I'm quite sure the Deere dealer would've recomended the extended warranty. Anyway, thanks for responding. If any one has any additional thoughts, please holler!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)