AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Spring (or fall) Strip Till and NH3 (pictures)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 7/28/2007 11:20 (#179559 - in reply to #179531)
Subject: Re: Spring (or fall) Strip Till and NH3 (pictures)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

At this point the jury is out on how much nh3 you can put down in the spring in our type of worked strip and not cause seed damage.

I believe that if we get good sealing as we did this week in central ILL that you can probably put all of your N down (at reduced rates - say 0.6 to 0.7 lb N/bu expected yield) IF you wait 4-7 days to plant. But that is just my gut feel based on what I have been told and seen elsewhere.

The time required before safely planting may also vary with soil type and moisture.

My reason for saying this may be a central cornbelt practice is that most of our more northern customers are not willing nor usually have the conditions to wait a week between stripping and planting. 

Spring Pluribus customers tend to plant with a day or less after making the strips.

Controlling the time between strip tilling and coming in with the planter is one of the key features of this system which allows us to control and rerspond to different moisture conditions.

If the soil is very wet, you wait a couple hours to a day or whatever it takes to see the strip top "grey off".  On the other hand if conditions are dryer, then following close behind (an hour or two) with the planter firms the soil back down giving you a nice worked black moist place to plant but without losing valuable moisture. Introducing a 4-7 day wait for anhydrous to convert adds another variable and reduces your ability to respond to soil moisture, rather than nh3.

The Pluribus' strip till system's moisture management capability is especially valuable in the north and less of an issue in the spring in the central cornbelt. jmho.

Jim at Dawn 

Edited by Jim 7/28/2007 17:23
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)