AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sidedressing one plugged!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

COdrylander
Posted 7/31/2007 19:58 (#180979 - in reply to #180713)
Subject: Fertilizer pump surging

NE CO
If you are convinced it is the fertilizer piston pump, you could always put an accumulator between the pump and the distribution system. Key components of the accumulator are a pressure tank with volume of say 3-10 times the delivery of the pump on one stroke, a relief valve on the accumulator, a way to keep the top 2/3 or so full of gas(air) and an orifice or valve on the accumulator discharge to maintain some pressure in the tank to steady the flow.

Before I started changing pumps and adding hardware, I would try and confirm that is the problem you are seeing. The first check i would do is to try and decide upon the average distance between the better corn and the poorer corn. If the distance from the middle of the good corn to the middle of the next instance of good corn is equal to the distance the planter travels during a single single complete in and out stroke of the pump, I would think you may have found the culprit.

Edit: Also, I would expect the 'good corn' would occur across the entire planter width and then the 'bad corn' across the planter width if surging from the piston pump is the cause.

Edited by COdrylander 7/31/2007 20:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)