AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much tractor do I need?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

wildcat
Posted 6/12/2011 22:11 (#1816137 - in reply to #1815420)
Subject: Re: How much tractor do I need?

EC Kansas
In the mid to late 60's, Dad farmed 500 acres with a Farmall 400, a 560 diesel; farrowed to finish 60+ sows with a wife and grade school kid to help. We could have farmed 25 acres in a couple of easy days with that machinery. I still remember how much I enjoyed turning up black dirt behind the 560 on a nice, warm spring or fall day, I have a friend that puts in 20 acres of food plots with a propane 3020 and some old Deere machinery and doesn't break much of a sweat doing it. Unless waitforit needs a planter bigger than 6 rows to fit the harvest machinery, a 50 to 80 hp tractor would be quite adequate. And I have a hard time believing there isn't plenty of good machinery out there to put behind a tractor that size. Unless you have an objection to sitting out in the sun for a few hours occasionally and are on a limited budget, the new tractors built today in that HP range are extremely nice and very efficient compared to what we used to call our "big" tractors. And they would be very useful on the rest of the property also. Sounds like the guy is wanting to have some fun; and too small a tractor, although likely more profitable, may take the edge off the fun. It would in my case anyway. My 2 cents.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)