AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fungicides
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 8/2/2007 21:44 (#182056 - in reply to #182005)
Subject: RE: Fungicides...NE IL

Chebanse, IL.....

Brian

I'm absolutely SURE that LESS than 80% of acres up here (Kankakee/Iroquois Co) were treated w/fungicide. Not sure what number to guess....60%?

For GTD poster...re IPM. How would you scout to make IPM decision on fungicide use in corn or sb? What is there for us to see? I believe the U of IL folks sent a letter 2 wks ago saying they did not understand either why yields increased w/fungicide application. They said that + response (but maybe not always enough) happened even in perfectly healthy stands.

So, now what?

Also, keep in mind that many of us lost confidence in the IPM thing a couple yrs ago when University said we needed something like 200,000,000 aphids per leaf before spraying was justified. Some abided by the recs, some sprayed. I believe that yr spraying yielded about 8-10 bu/A beans, even w/unjustified counts. I don't belittle their thoughts or methods, I just say that when it's your crop, sometimes decisions come differently. Just like when a Dr says, "we can't find anything wrong w/you....". But, you know you're in trouble somehow. Farmers that I know & talk to in this area didn't just apply Headline with no forethought. Like many-MANY of our other inputs, we sometimes don't know if abc or xyz will work, but we try.

So, now what?

Edited by Ron..NE ILL..10/48 8/2/2007 21:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)