AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fungicides
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GTD
Posted 8/3/2007 14:05 (#182360 - in reply to #182286)
Subject: Re: Fungicides

Effingham, IL

I thought maybe Ron answered his own question when he said he could find out where I was located (kinda spooky actually) Wink but if you must know, I'm an agronomist for a retail fertilizer company which deals solely with farmer/growers. I like to think that I provide a unique prospective because I could have easily jumped on the fungicide bandwagon (profits are good Smile) but I did not because the supporting evidence is just not there.

And yes, I have run many side-by side's over the past three years - more so on soybeans - and my results have pretty much been in line with the universities. The exception was last year. There were some tremendous yield differences where fungicides were used on corn, but since I have seen them used across a variety of years, I'm not ready to go whole hog based upon one years results and I fail to understand why the industry has do so. Profit margins are way down, that's for sure, but I do believe in the long run it's bad business - especially when I can only guarantee a return on a growers investment 27% of the time http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/icm/2006/6-26/fungicides.html .

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)