AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Justifying Irrigation?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

TN Rick
Posted 8/4/2007 17:10 (#182786 - in reply to #182707)
Subject: Re: Justifying Irrigation?

Decaturville TN
Tnfarmer, I've been thinking along the same lines as you about irrigation. Hardly anyone has irrigation around here so I don't know much about it either. A couple of cattle farmers nearby just bought traveling gun systems. I haven't seen them but I hear it is awfully slow going though. I am right beside the TN river, a canal, a lake and a creek. I have heard it is hard to get permission from TN Valley Authority to use the river water. I tried to get a permit from them to dam up a ditch on my own property a while back for duck hunting. This land has flowage easement for TVA on it ,but it is my land. They told me I would have to go through the same paperwork and fees(thousands) required for a marina. Also most of my land is rolling so I don't think flood irrigation would work well on most of it. It would be great if someone experienced (not selling equipment) could look at my farm and give advice. If you ever go on a fact finding mission to look at some working systems and wouldn't mind the company let me know.
I don't think you are too far from me-we're both in that big bright red spot on the Palmer drought index map. Let us know what you decide.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)