AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Killing old alfalfa field
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 9/16/2007 20:36 (#204774 - in reply to #204748)
Subject: Rodney & Martin-------the problem with my experiences.......

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

is that I have learned to not necessarily trust what my gut perceives to be the result of my experiences.........

For example.........I have probably been married longer than the two of you have been alive.............and therefore I have "THE EXPERIENCE".........but I'll be damned if my gut has gotten any consistent learnings from those events!!!!!!

Seriously.........seems to me that one ought to plow as deeply as one can without shaving a Chinaman..........but I cannot provide a good reason, other than "that is the way I was taught when Super M's ruled!"

Rolling the sod enough for the cut roots to freeze and the plowed ground to smother the underside ought to be enough........but I agree that such would take.......seems to me.......about 6-8 inches.

My objective is to kill the sod, without destroying any more of the soil structure under the seed depth as possible-----say, 2 -- 2.5 inches---- and I could do that with our rotovators..........but I would have to put sleeping bags in the cabs in order to get done before next planting------rotovating is SLOW.

I was going to try the moldboards at about 4-5 inches, and see what happened, but I was ignorant as to whether there was some technical aspect to the depth........did not know of any, but my knowledge..........well, let's just say that according to my wife of oh so many years........I have a lot left to learn.

Sounds to me like the mechanics of the process will result in what needs to be done........if 6 inches is required to roll sod decently, then 6 ought to be enough to kill it.

Thanks.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)