AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The public helping theirselves to your crops....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Deadduck
Posted 9/18/2007 10:01 (#205573 - in reply to #205139)
Subject: RE: The public helping theirselves to your crops....

Northeast Louisiana
We farm in a rural area, so most people respect the farmers. We don't have too much trouble. Farmers nearer to cities seem to have it worse.
We rent a couple hundred acres to some sweet potato (yam) farmers. After digging the potatos, the culls are left lying in the field. They don't allow people to come and pick up the old potatos anymore, because there were too many folks making a living by picking them up then selling them at roadside stands, farmers markets, etc. They still have to run people off from time to time.
We had a number of people asking to pull some "roasting ears" from our feild corn. We usually let them if it's someone we know. Amazing how much some of the wind up getting, though.
When we first start shelling corn, it's hard to get anything done for all of the deer hunters wanting to "buy" some corn to feed deer. Some will actually have money and pay, but many will have forgotten to bring any money with them. I'll bet we sold/gave away 300 bushels of corn this year to deer hunters.
We have several ponds on our place, and have always had to run people off from fishing in them. Amazing how they always thought that we had given them permission, or how they thought they were on our neighbor's place.
Have had a few trespassing hunters over the years. The worst was a group of drunk city folks that came on to our place dove "hunting" back in the early 80's. They were supposed to be on a neighbors place. They drove their trucks into our fields and over our soybeans. When my Dad and I stopped them, they smarted off, telling us that our neighbor had told them they could hunt here, too. That's probably the maddest I've ever seen my dad. Needless to say, they weren't around too long!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)