AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

combining sunflowers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bluepaint
Posted 10/5/2007 01:31 (#214628 - in reply to #214621)
Subject: RE: combining sunflowers

Manitoba canada
We have been growing flowers in manitoba for 10 years and never grew them in previous country so knew nothing but have found confections get better yeild and better price (If you dont mind holding them for a year or 2) Every body dessicates here and usually we get them off the field at about 13% ,It depends on the year ,last year it snowed real early and stayed cold for weeks and in end of november we took 500 acres off at 15% ,I find at 15 % they will keep for a couple of weeks in 10'000+ bins but in 2-5000 they will keep much better and many times in 10'000's we have had to make a long pole to keep them from sticking to the back of the bin ,Its never happened to me but neighbours say they had bins collapse because they bridged on one side ,I find the problem is they bridge over the self unload hole and when a 10'000 is full you have no way of getting to it and have cut a hole with the torch and put a small auger in many times ,In the fall they will crust on the top but in the spring they will have the problems in the bottom ,If you plan to keep them a while make a lomg probe and leave in the bin a while and pull occasionally and feel for heat ,I just sold 42'000 bushells that have been in 10'000's for 2 years combined at 13.6-14.2 and they were fine but i have had problems over 15 ?Run the fan on the combine hard ,Blow all that fine dust out it helps and if the stalks are a little green you really can't do much ,you're going to get that damp fluff in there .
PS do you use a vac I have a rem and seems to do a lot of damage others say no ...Just curious?
I find it hard to air ,With our weather humidity is always too high and i have seen the moisture stay the same after weeks of blowing ,Some times there is only 3-4 days worth switching the fans on all fall .
There is probably 20 farmers growing over 300-1000 acres of flowers in this area (Within 20 miles) and my thoughts come from many nights in the shop bitching and drinking with neighbours ?
Last year confects seemed to do 2000-2800 lbs if we all tell the truth and at 21 cents that was ok.

Edited by Bluepaint 10/5/2007 01:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)