AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Monsanto Buys other Seed Companies
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

easy
Posted 7/1/2006 00:05 (#23212 - in reply to #23048)
Subject: RE: Monsanto Buys other Seed Companies

How much difference in hybrids has their been in the past? For many years there have only been two legitimate, consistent breeding programs. Holden and Pioneer. Monsanto recognized this and paid way to much for Holdens but will ultimately profit because of the value that was within the Holden genetics. Sure, the small companies occaisionally stumbled onto a combination that worked, but it was rare and even rarer that they could repeat.
Yes, there are small town business's that have survived Walmart and some small companies may hang on for a while. I think, though, that ultimately seed performance will carry the day and, like it or not, Monsanto has the ability to fund research far beyond what all of the independents together can do. And, if for no other reason, Monsanto has the financial where withall to create so many matings that the odds are in their favor. Now, with all that said, I will be the first one to say that it's not the amount of money that will breed the best corn. It is the breeders. The ability to recognize these people and secure their efforts is the key to successful program. If money alone could do it, many companies would have successful programs and they just aren't out there. If a history of successfully breeding soybeans would do it we'd all know where Adel, Ia is. Another thing to remember, and maybe more important than it seems, is Monsanto is a stock company. That means that there will be several layers of management plus stockholders that might expect a level of performance from the research and breeding division that isn't always realistic to obtain. This can cause products to be pushed along and released before they are ready, and also products to be abandoned that deserved more time. Whatever the outcome, I don't think it is as big of a factor as it seems. We will still use what we think is best for us, as will all producers. And we will all have access to the same products so whatever the genetics may be, we're all starting from the same place. Product wise, anyway. Cost wise, the big boys will get the better deal and I doubt that will ever change.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)