AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dug up some cover crops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Brian sepa
Posted 11/10/2007 06:27 (#235119 - in reply to #234820)
Subject: Re: dug up some cover crops

Lancaster County, Pa.
I Have tried it both ways. 2 yrs ago I took wheat off of some of my poorer ground. Some of it was newly rented ground w/ some OM's of less than 1%. Also highly erodible ground. Some of the one field I planted the radish (10#) along w/ crimson clover, rest of field I planted crimson clover w/ 1/2 bu. barley. Planted late august after applying some spent mushroom compost. Where I had radishes, they pretty well overwhelmed the clover and completly overwhelmed any weeds. Where I planted the clover/barley it made a seriously thick cover. From what I can gather we are on the northern edge of where crimson clover can overwinter, I think mine got to thick and smothered. Next to the woods where it was not as big and had some protection it came through winter just fine. This fall I planted a few acres of radish/ clover in a field where we took silage off in late august when it was to wet. I had the bright idea to drop the clover and radishes in alternating rows. So I was planting the radish every 15", I thought maybe that would give the clover more of a chance. Unfortunatley, I didn't get the best planting job 'cause it was too dry and then it didn't rain for 6 weeks. The radish didn't seem to mind, it grew anyhow, but the clover waited for rain. So now I still have radishes taking over! I have been planting the clover primarily for the N, interestinlgy someone(can't remember who) posted some plot info on here a couple weeks back claiming more N benefit from OS radishes than from clover. My other reason for wanting the clover is for more erosion control than what you'll get w/ radishes. Down here, if we can get wheat off early enough, we have potential to grow 40 bu beans after wheat. But in as situation where wheat comes off later, or on poorer H.E.L, I see this type of cover as a good opportunity to build some O.M's, add some N, and you can make a field almost erosion proof. Long answer to a short question!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)