AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dug up some cover crops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 11/10/2007 17:00 (#235363 - in reply to #235256)
Subject: RE: You said "annual rye grass"------ did you mean cereal rye, ie winter rye-----??

Thumb of Michigan
I use cereal rye and like it. Where the annual ryegrass is used, people seem to like it real well. Our concern is getting it dead. I've not been brave enough to try it myself. We have a research farm in Michigan where they've tried annual ryegrass a couple of times, last I talked to them they were really sure I didn't want to try it here. I talked to Mike Plummer a couple of years ago at the NNTC, he seemed to think I wouldn't be happy with it either. I get the same story from different folks who've tried it south of me, so I think I'll just keep plugging along with things I think I know how to manage. Again, I have zero doubts that it works it some climates. Just not mine right now.

We have a variety of winter rye that I like a lot. I didn't raise any for seed for a couple of years for myself, but I do have some planted for our farm for next year now. Its been pretty tough for me to locate a seed source locally for that variety, luckily a friend gave up some of his that he bought from me a couple of years ago.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)