AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is milo used for?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

showboat
Posted 11/12/2007 11:22 (#236415 - in reply to #236314)
Subject: RE: What is milo used for?

Good replies above.

I raise a lot of milo, and over the decades it has been a good rotation crop in wheat country. As mentioned, it is more drought stresst tolerant than corn, so fits in well in the central plains, and is doing better in the west than it used to since the adaptation of no-till and better chemical availability.

It has 90-95% of the feed value of corn, and used to be the feed of choice for farmer livestock feeders in the plains who wanted to "grow their own", but couldn't grow corn. In my area, we now have more irrigation, so corn is more readily available. lots of milo gets shipped to the southwestern areas for poultry feed. However, my local ethanol plant is currently pricing milo the same as corn, and grinding a 50-50 mix of corn/milo in their system.

It was mentioned that there had been less genetic development of milo--another reason for that is that there is a relatively small area of the country which actually raises the stuff, --far less acres than raise corn, AND, the total number of pounds per acre of seed planted is far less, hence, there is nowhere NEAR the volume of seed required to satisfy the market. So there has been less incentive to genetically manipulate the seedstock. Showboat
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)