AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cotton?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Carl In Georgia
Posted 11/15/2007 07:43 (#238467 - in reply to #237764)
Subject: Peanut Hay [Edit: is what you saw]

Ashburn, GA, (very close to Heaven!)

EDIT: I am sure what you saw was peanut hay. I did see some cotton stalks wind rowed last week down southwest of Tifton away from 75, but nothing baled, and can't imagine why he'd be baling cotton stalks, but there is no limit to what I don't know or understand. He or somebody else may indeed have been baling cotton stalks.

People commonly bale the peanut vines to round bales, more so this year. Hay and grazing are short, and our cows need to eat! You may have been looking at some of my fields! As many as half of the fields between Ashburn and Tifton 20 miles south of me that border I75, I either scout, soil sample, or both. In fact, that's some of the land I was working Saturday! Didn't you see me out there on the 4 wheeler? Smile

It's pretty rough on the land when they do it repeatedly, and I have always discouraged it. Few of my clients do it, but some make so much money from cows, that they insist. Some "smart folks" say that you are removing more dollars worth of potash than dollars worth of hay! While the average cattle farmer may not argue too much with that, if he is making money with cattle and he has something on his farm to give them to eat, he will exercise that option.

Edited by Carl In Georgia 11/15/2007 09:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)