AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

225 Bushel Wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Carl In Georgia
Posted 11/15/2007 18:39 (#238847 - in reply to #238774)
Subject: Re: 225 Bushel Wheat

Ashburn, GA, (very close to Heaven!)
Phil,

We are trying for some high yield wheat down here this year. I may be picking your brain some during the season! We just started planting, but will get a lot put in between now and December 1. Some is in a little moisture, some in dry dirt, and we are watering some up. I'm worred about sun and wind crusting and making it struggle to poke through a little. It sure seems to me that wheat can benefit tremendously from a uniform emergence. This dry soils is not leveling out well, and seed depth lacks the uniformity I desire, but we are trying.

Our folks have learned the benefits of uniform peanut emergence, and I am using that mindset to impress upon them the same about wheat. Our cotton mentality tells us that as long as we get it up we can make it, and that is right about that crop, but not peanuts or wheat!

We are planning to manage for 80 bushel, and expect it to be that, plus or minus 20! The main thing that bites us we can't manage for would be a wet spring ond / or harvest season.....

Later,
Carl
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)