AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Picking corn hybrids for next year. It seems they all win every plot trial
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 11/18/2007 22:17 (#240783 - in reply to #239563)
Subject: RE: Picking corn hybrids for next year. It seems they all win every plot trial

West Union, Illinois

Robert,

Sounds kind of like how I'm doing things.   I am not big enough to choose from several companies. I'd end up planting 6 bags and 6 bags and 6 bags and ... . I have one company I buy from.  It gets me the maximum discounts I can get, they even "reward" me for being a 100% customer.

I have 2 "old" varieties I am going to plant as my main hybrids next year.  The rest will be new stuff.  I've talked with the company agronomist at the big company field day, the DSM is familiar with my operation, my dealer works with me however he can.

As for the 250+ yields ... I know the limitations of my region.  I can dig a post hole and hit red gravel or blue muck, depending on which field I'm digging in.  I've hit 225 non-irrigated before ... but wrote that on the wall because I cannot count on the conditions being that right ever again.

Your suggestion "Find a good seed person or consultant that you have a very trustworthy relationship and let him help you pick your products for next yr" is the only way to go in our current environment.  If you wait for 3 years of on farm data it will be out of the line-up before you plant it. 

Edited by Mike SE IL 11/19/2007 17:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)