AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? for Oklahoma corn producers (actually all producers)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Matt NCOK
Posted 11/29/2007 22:41 (#249233 - in reply to #248627)
Subject: RE: revisions made this year were down.........

It's all so stupid, you know what Garfield Counties' T yield was before? 39bu/A Heck, our worst corn has never been that bad. So 75% of 39 X (Price-$1) - $10 -$17 premium = not damn much when you have $200/A invested. Why even offer the stupid policy? Grant was 73 and Logan county just to the south was 69bu/A. Haven't verified if it was lowered as well. What would you say the average yield in Grant county was this year? My guess would be north of 110bu/A. Most guys who have been raising corn long have 75-90bu five year averages across their whole farms, and two of those were terrible drought years. Trouble is, if you are in a crop rotation it takes somewhere between 5-9 years to get your three years of actual production history for each farm. Agent told us you could go through and group farms together to create history, but you would have to be careful never to raise corn on both of them in the same year. I'm not going to let insurance dictate how we farm. We are about done with crop insurance.

And then the stupid provision that they won't pay replant if you plant before March 15. Gotta cover their ass to make sure they never pay out. I know it's a business. But they are so worried about making up a million rules to make sure that no one ever cheats them, that in the end they end up with a worthless product, at least for our area. They have a nice provision here that states you can't insure sorghum if it is planted into wheat that has reached the "heading" stage which they define by finding a single head of wheat in the field. Their concern is that the wheat crop used too much moisture to successfully raise a sorghum crop. I hate to break it to them, but stored soil moisture that early in the season has absolutely nothing to do with raising a sorghum crop here. It has to rain! High amounts of residue increase your odds of success.

Edited by Matt NCOK 11/29/2007 22:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)