AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Long Term Strip-Till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Circle Farmer
Posted 12/1/2007 11:23 (#250316 - in reply to #250289)
Subject: Re: Long Term Strip-Till

Greywolf, I think you are right on. While I am only in my third year of striptilling, I sure have noticed the wide variety of "info" out here. The thing that bothers me the most is when magazine articles, or whoever, says "you WILL do strip till THIS way". Good heavens! Imagine reading an article that says you MUST disk with a 24 foot double offset disk with 24 inch blades only in the fall with a blue 225 HP FWA tractor, northwest to southeast! It's local conditions and what you are trying to accomplish that should be the determining factors, not a bandwagon jumping magazine based on 2001 university trials done by students with one type of strip machine. If I'm planting beans that need Phos in 225 bu. corn residue, I'm using my strip tiller, in the spring, with P. Here, I wouldn't dream of any fall stuff unless I decided I liked planting in a gray dish with trash laying all over it. But our soil doesn't clod like many others either. It is just not a "one type fits all" system. I'm not about to argue with those who find success doing fall work. Just those who say I should.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)