AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mapping and guidance on a shoestring budget.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

farmergps
Posted 12/3/2007 14:46 (#251835 - in reply to #248741)
Subject: Re: Mapping and guidance on a shoestring budget.

Hi Chuck,
I do believe Dave got all of that from my FarmerGPS software and more. The big question is the Garmin 18-5Hz versus a "better" receiver. The is probably an open discussion as it very much depends on the number of acres and the application to make better accuracy pay for itself. Since Dave is not using autosteer, can he actually take advantage of a few inches better accuracy? It is very hard to compare receivers and I have many customers who are happy with the Garmin 18, other have exchanged it. I think expectations on GPS also plays into this....
For the shapefile question: FarmerGPS allows you to create shapefiles from completed operations. This is a different approach but I created this for my own operation initially and was simply not going to drive around all my fields and slough areas to create shapefiles as a seperate process. As a result, FarmerGPS will do an image analysation from a completed mapping and will output a shape file including sloughs or bush areas (showed up white on map file). You can also output this file to Google Earth and overlay to satellite imagery available there. As a side benefit you also get exact acre counts.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)