AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smartbox-revisiting
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/17/2006 06:49 (#27318)
Subject: Smartbox-revisiting

Chebanse, IL.....

A few days ago a question was posted about SmartBoxes for a "new" planter:

http://u15205752.onlinehome-server.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4445&mid=26637#M26637

I'll ask the original poster...."what kind of planter are you considering"? If it's a JD 1790 w/CCS, you have a couple choices, though I don't believe conventional boxes is one of them.

But-back to SmartBoxes. We had them several yrs ago when they first came out. Only Fortress was available then. We're in CRW area here & insecticide is a must (we think) on 1st yr corn. Seems it's been that way for 15+ yrs. Anyway-Fortress didn't work well. Dupont sold the product & now the label rate has been changed, which ups the use rate/acre quite a bit. I don't really know anyone locally using Fortress, so I don't know if it's working now or not. Around here, if something doesn't work-you can usually tell when you drive by the field....bowed corn.

The original poster should also know it's possible to put conventional boxes on top of SmartBox (SB) meter assy. Why would one want to do that? Cost. Locally the SAME product name will cost $1-2/A more in SB containers than in bags. I believe none of the insecticide mfg have control of SB product pricing, that's set by the SB people that actually put the product in SB containers. Also-handling & storage of SB containers is more complicated than bags.

Re. "safety" in handling....I don't know. Local & personal experience says the SB system is not entirely enclosed. So-you start defining the difference between some & a little. I'll admit that it's good to try & minimize handling of any product w/skull & crossbones on bag, but perhaps Bt corn (for CRW control anyway) is better choice.

Another insecticide attachment for planters would be a Gandy Orbit Air. We were fairly happy with the performance of ours. We had seriously-seriously considered SB initially also. Filling the Gandy is big downside.

Good luck w/decision. Insecticide is PIA no matter what mechanical course you choose.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)