AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone looking at becoming a crop ins. agent?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

G2Farms
Posted 1/3/2008 15:07 (#274695 - in reply to #274678)
Subject: RE: Anyone looking at becoming a crop ins. agent?

I recieved my crop ins license two years ago, I went to two all day classes, did about 2 full days of reading and studing then took a test. I should say it costs around $100 to take the test and it took me 3x to pass it. The problem is you need to know the details on every crop insured not just the ones you are familier with.

By the looks of your post you are thinking about forming a "buying group" for this insurance input. I would caution you on this b/c there are some strict rules about the commissions, I do not know the exact rules of these commissions but I do know that if one agent tries to lure you away from anouther agent by sharing their commission with you the agent is question can get into some hot water. I know some would say thats BS but when you become an agent with the Risk Management Agency you play by their rules and you sign off on these rules before they let you play.

This could be worked around but if one of the agents already selling to one of your neighbors wants to be nasty they could come after the person holding the license.

I got into the business b/c i already have a seed biz and it seemed like a logical fit, so far it has worked out good. I don't try to run all over and steal people away but i have my loyal base of clients I continue to serve. Sometimes.....not alot of time the agent in town doesn't understand the fed. crop ins program like anouther farmer would so there are advantages in buying from anouther farmer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)